Attitude should be appropriate at all practices. This means no talking or being silly while coaches or captains are trying to get something done. Members should listen to the person in charge and should not insult her by comments, rolling of eyes, etc. Talking and silliness must be limited. This applies to performances as well. Key Word = RESPECT. That includes ALL players and dancers. Remember you are representing what is best at CFHS! Any violations of this could result in removal of a performance.
- You must have a high sense of good sportsmanship and fairness, and be able to adapt to disappointing situations with self-control. Must be a good winner as well as a good loser.
- You must be of good health and stamina, and maintain good, healthy practices. A physical indicating a satisfactory physical must be submitted before the start of the school year.
- You must be willing and capable of promoting school spirit and entertaining in coordination with the school band at athletic events, pep rallies or other special events.
- You must have the initiative to work in routines, pre-games, and special skills. All members are expected to practice and stretch on their own, especially when having difficulty. Other members of the team will help you if you ask, but it is expected that you can learn the routines in a limited time period.
- Must be able to work well with others. If a disagreement occurs regarding routine steps, the majority vote of the team and the decision of the coach will be used to settle the issue.
Sportsmanship is very important on this team and should not be taken lightly. During public appearances such as sporting events, camp, parades, state competitions, or anything else where you are representing the dance team, you must display good sportsmanship at all times. This means positive, sincere comments only. Make sure that during others performances, especially at competitions and camp, you are polite, respectful and supportive. Watch their performance as you’d want others to watch yours. If you have something negative to say “save it for the bus”. This means that you should wait until we are alone as a team and no one else is around before you give your opinion. You never know whose family is sitting in front or behind you. Poor sportsmanship displays may result in an unexcused absence, resulting in a missed performance.
First and foremost, it is a privilege to be on the Cedar Falls High School Dance Team. It is expected that all dancers will conduct themselves as good citizens both in and out of school. It is of the utmost importance that conduct is of the highest level. The attitude and conduct of dance team members has an impact on others and reflects on the team as a whole. As representatives of Cedar Falls High School as well as the dance team, class peers, younger students, and the Cedar Falls community look toward the example set by team members.
A dancer will immediately lose eligibility to participate on the team by exhibiting any of the following behaviors:
- Possession, use or purchase of tobacco products, regardless of the student’s age.
- Possession, use, or purchase of alcoholic beverages.
- Being in a car with or in attendance at a function where alcohol or other drugs are being consumed illegally by minors.
- Possession, use or purchase of illegal drugs or the unauthorized possession, use or purchase of otherwise lawful drugs.
- Engaging in any act that would be grounds for arrest or citation in the criminal or juvenile court system, (excluding minor traffic offenses) regardless of whether the student was cited, arrested, convicted or adjudicated for the act(s).
- Inappropriate or offensive conduct such as fighting, insubordination (defiance, rebelliousness or disobedience), hazing or harassment of others.
For a copy of the CFHS Conduct Code for Extracurricular Activities, please contact the principal’s office or the dance team coaches.
Team members will conduct themselves appropriately both online and off. They should not use social media or online accounts to put down others, share inappropriate images, or embarrass Cedar Falls High School, the Dance Team, or the ISDTA in any way. What you post is public and often cannot be removed. There have been consequences for other dance teams in the past who have not adhered to strict online conduct. Also, remember that in social media you may be linked to several of your teammates and posting hurtful or negative things about your teammates or coaches will most likely get back to them. Think before you post.
We abide by the CFHS School policies for academics. Students must maintain a “C” average. If a student fails a class, the student will be ineligible to perform for at least 30 days of the new semester. If you are ineligible, you will still be expected to practice with the team. The administration will alert the coaching staff of any academic ineligibility.
CF Dancers Agreement | All dancers will be expected to adhere to the following statements.
- I certify that I have read through the conduct and attendance policies and agree to abide by all rules and expectations set by my coaches. I recognize that the coaches have my best interest at heart and will do my best to respect their decisions.
- I have been made aware of the team website where I can find the practice schedule and other important information.
- I understand that practice is very important and I will do my best to be in attendance. I understand that the coaches reserve the right to pull me from a routine or remove me from the team if I have missed too many rehearsals. If I have to miss practice for any reason I will let one of the coaches know directly, 2 weeks in advance if at all possible.
- I will conduct myself in an appropriate manner both online and off. I will not use social media or online accounts to put down others, share inappropriate images, or embarrass Cedar Falls High School, the Dance Team, or the ISDTA in any way. I recognize that what I do online is public and often cannot be undone.
- I will not intentionally put down my teammates, myself, or my coaches during practice or outside of practice.
- I will respect my teammates, captains, and coaches at all times. I recognize that the captains and coaches are the leaders of this team and I will respect them accordingly.
- I will follow school conduct guidelines and I will not participate in illegal activities including but not limited to possession or consumption of alcohol or tobacco products. I will work hard academically to keep my grades up and in line with Cedar Falls’ academic policies.
- If I have any problems with the Dance Team, other team members, or the coaches, I will address it quickly and calmly with the coaches.
- I recognize that being a member of the Cedar Falls Dance Team is a privilege and not a right and I will abide by Cedar Falls High School or the Coaches’ decision if they feel I should no longer be a member of this team.
- I understand that the coaches reserve the right to alter the roster at any time for any reason including but not limited to inability to complete the requirements laid out at auditions, lack of effort, missing practice, bad attitude, inappropriate conduct or poor sportsmanship. This is not meant to make anyone’s dance team experience poor, rather to ensure the success of the team.These decisions may be made by the coaches in conjunction with the choreographer but will not include input from other team members.